Electric Locomotive ESS3201

Photo Courtesy of Novaprima

Electric locomotive started to operate on 6 April 1952. On the same day, there were the launch of the first electrified railways, route Tanjung Priuk – Meester Cornelis (Jatinegara) and 50th birthday celebration of Staats Spoorwegen, not to mention the launch of a new Tanjung Priuk Station. The railways were extended to Buitenzorg (Bogor) in 1930. The electric train operated in Batavia (Jakarta) signified environment-friendly mass transportation system which was in fact one of the most advanced transportation systems in Asia at that time. The electric train already became a very important means of transportation for commuters, especially those residing in Bogor and working in Jakarta.

The electric locomotive ESS3201 is one of the 6 units of the electric locomotive Model 3200 produced in Werkspoor manufacturer in the Netherlands. At this time, the operation of the electric train for Jakarta route is coordinated by Electrische Staats Spoorwegen (ESS). The ESS is part of Staats Spoorwegen (SS) specializing equipment, infrastructures and operation of the electric train in Batavia (Jakarta). In addition to Model 3200, the ESS purchased some electric trains including the train Model 3000 made in SLM (Swiss Locomotive & Machine works)-BBC (Brown Boverie Cie) and Model 3100 produced by AEG (Allgemaine Electricitat Gesellschaft) in Germany.

At the end, regarding the fact that the trains which had reached half-century age, they were no longer considered proper to use and replaced by newer models (Electric Multiple Unit cars/KRL-Kereta Rel Listrik) manufactured in Japan in 1976. As a result, the trains were no longer operated and rather used as scrap heaps. The only locomotive left is the locomotive ESS3201. It can be found in Manggarai Workshop, Jakarta, though improperly maintained.

Photo Courtesy of Novaprima

Since the ESS3201 contributed a lot to the development of communities in Jakarta in the past, it then IRPS (Indonesian Railway Preservation Society - a group of people who concerned about Indonesian Railway) submitted a proposal of the electric locomotive ESS3201 conservation to PT Kereta Api (Persero). It responded positively and, therefore, the proposal was approved by Director of PT Kereta Api (persero). Eventually, on 29 July 2007, the locomotive was rehabilitated completely by Manggarai Workshop. The locomotive was renewed and repainted with the same color as its original color. On 12 July 2007, the launch of the completed renewal of the locomotive conducted by Manggarai Workshop which was attended by Manggarai Workshop staff, IRPS members and staff of PT Kereta Api - Jakarta Operational Area.

On 14 April 2009, the locomotive was moved from Manggarai Workshop to Tanjung Priuk Station. The movement process was displayed and presented during the launch of Tanjung Priuk Station by President of the Republic of Indonesia, Dr H Susilo Bambang Yudoyono on 28 April 2009. On 2 September 2009, the locomotive was returned to Manggarai Workshop.

 
Share |
  Copyright © 2010 - Conservation and Heritage Center   
 
Photo's Courtesy KITLV, The Netherlands
Language: