Jatinegara station

The existence of Jatinegara Station was the work of Ir. Snuyff, cannot be separated from Jatinegara area which is full of history and can be seen from many historical buildings that need to be preserved. Jatinegara area was originally called Meester Cornelis, referred to Cornelis Senen a teacher who built school, taught, and preached in that area so he was then called 'meester' or mister teacher. The term Jatinegara' started to be used at the Japan colonialism which considered 'Meester' had a Dutch overtone. There is also assumption the term 'Jatinegara' comes from 'Real Country' the term came from Jayakarta Prince who had formerly developed Jatinegara Kaum' a village cluster after Dutch Government destroyed Sunda Kelapa Royal Palace.

Jatinegara area began to be fast developed at the beginning of 20th century or at 1905s in line with the area expansion of Batavia. Many buildings were built at that time in Jatinegara. For the sake of the community, especially to those who had Dutch nationality living in that area, the colonial government developed supporting transportation facility. On June 16, 1872, Gambir-Jatinegara railway train was inaugurated which then followed by Jatinegara-Bogor a year later. Next, in 1925, electrical train began to be operated to connect Jatinegara with Tanjung Priok and Manggarai.

The many public transportations passed Jatinegara indicated that the area was a significant and busy area and train station was a vital public facility since the early time. Until now, this Jatinegara Station which before independence was called Meester Cornelis Station is an important station where three railway lines met i.e. Pasar Senen line, Manggarai line, and Bekasi line. Every day, this station is passed by 350 trains which connect Jakarta city with all directions in Java. Although for departure not all trains get passengers from this station, all trains coming to Jakarta are stopped to disembark passengers.

Jatinegara Station building which until now is firmly stood at Bekasi Barat street, Jatinegara, East Jakarta, was considered built by Staats Spoorwegen (SS) in 1901 and is stipulated as Culturally Protected Area. As the public facility which is dropped off by all trains from and to Jakarta, this station is facilitated by nine ticket windows, two for reservation and the other seven for direct purchase. As other drop of stations, Jatinegara station is one-sided station with emplacement parallel to the station building. Beside, this station is also functioned as loco shed for those which need light-scale maintenance.

The station building features architectural design which is a transition style from Indische Empire to modern colonial i.e. European architectural style which adapted itself to environmental condition in Indonesia. The use of top steep roof, which is actually a kind of European roof meaning to ease the falling snow, while in the tropical climate houses only need slopping roof to let rainy water. Wide opening spaces such as doors, windows, ventilations or clerestory are directed for natural light and cross-ventilation based on humid tropical climate. Front view building is not symmetrical; however, there is a stressed on the middle side of the building as a vocal point or as the centre of attention through the size of the room and the height of the building which are dominated others.

Although it is not symmetrical, the stressed on the middle building as the entrance gate, hall and ticket sell with the domination of canopy ad building, added by the use of cupola at the top roof as the vocal point.

Clerestory is usually functioned as light penetration or hot air ventilation trapped under the roof while cupola at the roof top is aesthetical element as the vocal point or as the centre of attention which in the early time was some time installed by a lantern inside.

The emplacement area with platform which has been lengthened with additional canopy roof in wing shaped. The emplacement floor has been elevated to facilitate passengers to get on and off from the train. The main hall represents spacious but not monotonous impression with the light coming from the door and the above ventilation. Raised (Leveled) platform with additional wing-shaped roof.

 
  Copyright © 2010 - Conservation and Heritage Center