Tanjung Priuk station

The existence of Tanjung Priuk Station cannot be separated from the existence of Tanjung Priuk Harbour built at the end of the 19th century by Governor General Johan Wilhelm van Lansberge. Tanjung Priuk Harbour is the gate to Batavia as Hindia Belanda changed Sunda Kelapa harbor, which was not suitable any longer. This station was built to accommodate the trade and European tourists in Batavia. In the past, Tanjung Priuk area was situated in the north of Jakarta which for the most part was still a dangerous forest and swamp so a safe transportation was needed to link Tanjung Priuk Harbour with the city centre through Batavia Centrum (Jakarta City Station).

The station built in 1914 during the reign of Governor General A.F.W. Idenberg (1909 - 1916) was the work of Ir.C.W.Koch key engineer from Staats - Spoorwegen (SS - Train State Company of Dutch colony). In its construction not less than 1,700 workers were needed and about 130 were from Europe.

Although Tanjung Priok Statiun was not the main station, it was built on a 46,930 m2 site and the glorious and luxurious building was 3,768 m2. It had eight platforms and therefore, it was as large as Jakarta City Station. Its function at that time was not only as a station but it also provided lodging for passengers who wanted to wait for ship arrival to continue their journey. The rooms were on the left wing of the building especially built for the Dutch and European passengers. The rooms were supplemented with underground rooms functioned as logistic shed.

Tanjung Priuk Station was inaugurated exactly at the 50th anniversary of Staats Spoorwegen (SS) on April 6, 1925 together with the opening of Tanjung Priuk - Beos track, which was served by an SS-3200 electric locomotive (from Werkspoor, Holland) also the north electrical system which was spread from Tanjung Priuk — Bogor, and a circle track around Jakarta.

After Indonesia independence, the train company was taken over by the Indonesian Government which at that time was named DKA (Djawatan Kereta Api). Tanjung Priuk Station stopped operating from June 1999 when there was a change of status from PT KA to limited liability and was reoperated on April 13, 2009. The building renovation was not only meant for public transportation, but it also meant was to preserve the station building as a cultural preservation and which can be used as a centre of study and a historical tour destination. Consequently, in its restoration the authenticity of the station building was maintained, included the train dispatcher, the signal house, and the underground rooms (banker) which were flooded by mud.

Based on the arrangement of rooms, Tanjung Priuk Station was a top station type where the track lasted on the station building and the railway perpendicular with the concourse. This monumental station building had eight track rails, six tracks on the platform, and two tracks outside the platform. The building was supported by hundreds of poles which had closed roof and thick tin. The platform roof was a concrete steel wide structure with arch roof truss shading the eight platforms altogether.

The design of Tanjung Priuk Station was symmetrical silhouetted with the initial modern architecture which was influenced by Cubism so it was simple and geometric. The dominant shape of this station building was square for the whole of the building and the open areas, its doors, and its windows. The use of vertical and horizontal lines became an ornament characterized of Art Deco style, which was very popular at the beginning of 20th century. The above lines consist of horizontal mould roof list and holes at the cornice are balustrade roof, vertical column lines, and hollow on the wall which resembles imitation windows beside the real windows with wooden bars. Soldering glass and ceramic ornament profile decorated the station wall. The glorious impression was strengthened by the large and strong column on the main station platform.

Metal structure of the main emplacement furnish with a sturdy and glorious impression. The ticketing area is a in the form of a niche reinforced by marble wall layered. The hall is lit by the light coming from the rows of glass windows.

 
  Copyright © 2010 - Conservation and Heritage Center